Tuesday 13 November 2012

Todays workout

Finished my charity Long cycle challenge­. Was aiming for 10 rpm, or 600 reps, but the group energy carried me to 667 reps, or 11 rpm. However my Code 5 kbell workouts have indicated that in my quest for extreme kb endurance, I sacrificed some power. So I am now working with the 20kbell, or bells.  Todays workout was 15 min sets, with 2 minutes rest between. First I did sidesword and shield.  This warmed up for my power sets, and I like to do sidesword when I am fresh, otherwise my technique degenerates.  Then I did an EDT set of one arm snatches. My goal is to increase the number of reps that I get in 15 mins each week, thus EDT, or escalating denisty training.  This works my power, my endurance and my heart. Then I moved on to freeplay with push ups, two 15 lb clubbells, a 45lb club, and the TRX. I was emphasising circular movements, and also the frontal plane. For combatives, or self defense, your opponent is more likely to be in front of you, rather than straight overhead.  From there, my next set took my fatiqued muscles into arnis, using various weapons, empty hand, tools (cellphone), standing, sitting, or on the ground.  I then finished with gladius, using a heavy kicking shield as my scutum, or Roman shield.  I only got in 3 mins before my technique got too sloppy.  I will increase this to 15 mins. Ancient warfare must have been intensely draining, and this lets me get a small feel for that.  Notice that each sement of the workout sets up the next. This is either because the workout is very rational, or because I very good at rationalizing doing what I want to do...or a combination of both.  Your work, whether it be martial, or just pure exercise, should be progressively more challenging, and it should be enjoyable, maybe not always, but enough to keep you going.

No comments:

Post a Comment